Join us in this A-Z of training good impulse control skills in your dog.
Taking you right from the basics through to the impossible, this course really is not for the feint hearted! With 8 weeks of comprehensive exercises to help you understand how to train impulse control and now for the technical bit! Create new pathways in your dogs brain. This course brings together some of what they may know, turns it on its head and sideways and adds a bit more!!
The course has been devised with a deep understanding of how impulsive dogs think and feel, how they react to certain stimulus and how to train with fun filled activities to make yours and your dogs life the best it can be. Written and devised by a behaviourist who truly understands the impulse dog, owning 13 working dogs of her own! (11 of them spaniels - say no more!!)
What we cover:
- Using a clicker
- The training key to tackle impulse
- Training at distance using placeboard, stay release, Stops, away, go back
- Secondary reinforcement - how to find it, how to use it
- Rewarding and building concentration
- Anticipatory stillness
- Cueing frantic to still
- Managing contextual training
- Stillness games
- Relationship building
- On/ off lead connections
- Training a leave it dog
- Predatory motor pattern - getting the best out of the high drive dog
Saturday courses held at
Blue Cross Rehoming Centre
Ipswich IP2 8NQ
Friday courses held at
What to bring to class:
- Flat collar or harness (Choke chains, prong collars are not permitted)
- Standard lead (not extendable)
- A long line maximum 5m (due to COVID 19 we shall no longer be providing use of long lines in classes due to transmission of the virus through surfaces)
- Lots of yummy treats cut into small pieces. Thinly sliced hot dogs are great for training
- Poo bags
- Please bring your dogs vaccination certificate to the first session you attend or email a copy to [email protected]
- Please dress for the weather conditions, to ensure you and your dog are comfortable throughout the session. We train in all weathers. REMEMBER, there’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!!!!!!
Water and water bowls are provided, but if your dog prefers their own please feel free to bring that as well. We recommend not feeding a morning meal, or at least reducing it, as the training is reward based and their tummy’s will fill up quickly!!!
Social Distancing and COVID 19
- Please remain in your car until you see your instructor indicate you can come into the training area
- Please follow all social distancing guidelines before, during and after class. Anyone not observing social distancing or health and safety guidelines advised by ourselves will be asked to leave immediately with no right of refund. Your safety and enjoyment is our number one priority.
- Please bring your own leads, including a long line with maximum length of 5m.
- To assist with social distancing rules we ask that one person per household attends with their dog. This can be varied/ alternated between caregivers week to week if required.
- Please wash hands before and after attending a session.
- In the event of a lockdown, government changing protocols, or if we feel it is in the best interest of those attending, training may be conducted via an online medium instead of a face to face class where necessary as per our terms.
Parking & Facilities
Parking is available on site, and please read our terms and conditions before booking.
Payment of fees should be made at the time of placing a booking. Failure to make payment will result in the booking being cancelled.